SWAN Newsletter #61

September 20, 2011
(7:30 PM – 8:30 PM)

Attended by Watson Fisher and Ted Robertson. Reported by Ted Robertson.


Two (2) residents complained of storm water problems connected with the last three rain events. The Supervisors stated that their complaints will be investigated.


Action on the engagement of Lewis and Associates to perform an audit of Comcast franchise fees over the past 5 years was tabled.


After a public hearing on Ordinance 11-08 amending Chapter 176 Article III of the Codified Ordinances as it related to utility separation from sanitary sewer facilities, the Supervisors unanimously approved Ordinance 11-08.

The Supervisors unanimously approved Change Order #5 to the contract with Rogele for emergency road and storm sewer repairs in the amount of $16,942.00.

The Supervisors unanimously approved Resolution 11-21 accepting the Municipal Obligation for the police and non-uniformed employees pension plans.

The Supervisors unanimously approved the agreement between the Township and Triple Crown Corporation regarding financial security for Stray Winds Farms, Phase 1.

October 4, 2011
(7:35 PM – 8:40 PM)

Attended by Watson Fisher and Ted Robertson. Reported by Ted Robertson.


Several residents had complaints concerning flooding and storm water run-off. All complaints will be investigated by the Township. Supervisor Hornung indicated that storm damage cost estimates to date are $750,000.00. He stated that total costs could run to $1,500,000.00 for the Township.


The engagement of Lewis and Associates to perform an audit of Comcast franchise fees has been dropped.

The Supervisors unanimously approved Octavia Larson to fill a vacancy on the Arts Council.

The Supervisors unanimously approved the low bid of Stoner Tree Service in the amount of $31,300.00 for tree cutting in the PC-2C/2D sanitary sewer mini basin.

October 5, 2011

Attended and reported by Watson Fisher.

Arts Council Parks & Recreation Department Director Brian Luetchford reported that the Board of Supervisors approved the appointment of Tavia Larson to fill the vacancy on the Arts Council as recommended by the P&R Board.

2012 Budget Mr. Luetchford reported that as part of their budget deliberations the supervisors are considering the information that this board had given them regarding possible cuts in the department’s programs and expenditures.

Brightbill Park CEP Projects The sewer authority incurs fines each year levied by DEP until certain improvements to the sewer system can be made. Half of the fine amount can be returned to the township to fund Community Environmental Projects (CEP). The P&R department is working with Public Works to investigate several potential projects at Brightbill Park. These include repairing the storm flow to an area of wetlands, improving storm water drainage and erosion control, and repairing areas of the meandering stream at the edge of the park along Carolyn Drive. If approved, the projects would need to be completed by August of 2012.

Greenway Committee This month’s meeting was cancelled. With the expectation that no money will be available for projects in 2012 the committee will continue their planning work for future trail projects and will attempt to find sponsors for other possible projects.

Laurel Ridge The Village of Laurel Ridge apartment complex on the south side of Linglestown Road across from the entrance to Forest Hills, formerly called Pheasant Ridge, has submitted a master plan showing the proposed construction of 92 new units on the existing site. The township ordinance requires developers to provide a certain amount of land for public recreation or if that is not practical pay a fee in lieu of land. The complex has an existing park and this developer proposes to satisfy part of the requirement by upgrading the existing park facilities since they have no land they can dedicate to the township. The board is not comfortable with that based on the limited amount of information they received. Without better information on their proposal the board will recommend that the entire fee in lieu of approximately $260,000.00 be paid.

Wolfersberger Park The P&R department made a suggestion that the board felt was worth pursuing. A result of the extensive digging associated with the many ongoing sewer line replacement projects in the township is that the contractors have had to truck large amounts of earth to fill sites out of the township. The suggestion was to have the contractors begin to move the fill to the Wolfersberger Park site on Wenrich Street which for most projects would be much closer and where there would be no dumping fee. The savings could be realized by revisiting existing contracts and by revisions to any new contracts. The fill would be placed in designated areas to begin the grading that will be necessary if and when the park project gets started. The township has only a small final payment left before it has complete ownership of the property and these savings could offset that final payment. It is likely that no fill could be placed until the township has complete ownership of the land. The P&R board recommended that the township pursue this matter.

October 11, 2011
(6:00 PM – 7:15 PM)

Attended by Watson Fisher and Ted Robertson.
Absent: Bill Hornung and David Blain

Representatives of the Laurel Ridge development questioned the Township’s fee in lieu of formula for recreational facilities for this land development plan. It was proposed that the developer put his reasons for depicting the Township’s formula as “nonsense” in writing to be reviewed by the Township’s Staff and Solicitor.

Mr. Wolfe reviewed the Consulting Engineer’s Annual Report for the Harrisburg Advanced Wastewater Treatment Facility including its 2012 budget which will be incorporated in the Township’s 2012 budget. This facility’s portion of the Township’s budget could increase by up to 16%.

The Supervisors made a final determination of the ranking of the proposed Dauphin County Local Shares Grant applications by adding a fifth item. A grant for the Heroes Grove in the amount of $300,000.00 was added as number 5 to the list.

October 18, 2011
(6:00 PM – 7:30 PM)

Mr. Wolfe noted that the projected General Fund balance at the end of 2011 would be $3.7 million. This is below the $4.25 million mandated by the Supervisors in prior years. The projected year end balance for the General Fund using the above $3.7 million contingency fund will be $ + $101,000.00.

The pre-draft budget estimate for 2012 will result in a deficit of $435,000.00. After a lengthy discussion, the Supervisors appeared to be leaning toward a long term solution rather than yearly “band-aids.”

October 18, 2011
(7:30 PM – 8:05 PM)

Attended by Watson Fisher and Ted Robertson. Reported by Ted Robertson.
Absent: Bill Hornung

Mr. Wolfe noted that the Emergency Alert System will be tested at 2:00 PM on November 8, 2011.

Under New Business, the Supervisors unanimously approved the proposal from Brown and Brown to provide the Township and the Authority with property and liability insurances.

The Supervisors unanimously approved an agreement with Dauphin County to lease space in the Municipal Center.

The Supervisors voted 4-0 to approve Change Orders 4, 5, and 6 to the PC1A/1C sanitary sewer mini basin contract with Liberty Excavators. The net increase was $160,000.00 in the original $3.9 million contract.

Under Subdivision and Land Development, the Supervisors unanimously approved the revised land development plan for 6009 Jonestown Road (06-06). This involved very minor changes in the structure footprint.

October 18, 2011
(8:15 PM – 9:45 PM)

Attended by Watson Fisher. Reported by Ted Robertson.

This meeting with the Township Fire Chiefs and Public Safety Director Johnson was to discuss future capital funding and operational funding for the three (3) volunteer fire companies located in the Township.

The Fire Chiefs noted that their fund raisers require too much time of their volunteers, and in recent years have resulted in net losses. This is in light of mandated training hours and increasing department responses (not necessarily fires).

The leasing of capital funded fire equipment was suggested. The Fire Chiefs with David Blain will investigate this route of funding.

October 20, 2011

Attended and reported by Watson Fisher.

The Linglestown road construction project is virtually completed and the committee discussed a list of remaining items that need to be addressed. These punch list items will be forwarded to PENNDOT to add to their official punch list in the hope that all remaining concerns can be addressed before the project is finally completed. One item that appears to be somewhat wide spread is that many of the United Water underground curb boxes and meter pits were apparently installed deeper than they should have been which required the contractor to put in a section of pipe to gain access to them. Other problem items mentioned were at single locations. The Shade Tree Commission surveyed the condition of all the new trees and any tree problems will be included on the punch list. The committee was in agreement that PENNDOT did a very good job generally throughout the project and that they should be formally commended.

The Women’s Club did an excellent job of completing the planting around the flagpole in time for the official dedication ceremony which took place on October 21. The township supplied the topsoil and mulch. The Linglestown Merchants’ Association completed all the necessary arrangements for their three day Fall Festival which began with the dedication ceremony. It was noted that after the festival the township will address the plethora of signs that have been placed in the lawn areas along Linglestown Road in the central business district.

When the board of supervisors formally created this committee in about 1998 their working toward the reconstruction of Linglestown Road through the village was not their only charge. Now that that is virtually complete the committee will refocus on the other goals and objectives they were given relating to the village which included zoning, land use, signage, etc. This will be the main agenda item for their next committee meeting after which they will meet with the supervisors at a workshop meeting to discuss their continuing activities.